As mentioned in my second newsletter, CQUPT (重庆邮电大学) sits on Nan Shan, where the JiaLing River joins the Yangtze River. Join me for a tour of our beautiful campus!
Getting from the main gate to the foreign teachers' apartments is about a 15-20 minute uphill walk. Riding the campus shuttle takes you through a 5-10 minute maze around campus. Motorists beware!
The indoor gym where the university's sports teams and IM teams practice. A hip-hop aerobics class also meets here in the afternoons, and I must say I enjoy some Beyonce and Justin Timberlake blasting on the sound system during my walk back from class
The Foreign Affairs Office at CQUPT was the other half of the hiring process that brought me here as a teacher. Our friends at the FAO not only take care of us as foreigners, but work with us as teachers.
Did you notice a set of stairs by the FAO? Here's a closer look at what we teachers have affectionately named The Stairs of Doom (that's 6 sets X 20 steps each = 120 steps to the base of our apartment building--legs of steel my friends!):
A few teaching buildings as viewed from my apartment. Does the camera view seem high? That's because I'm on the 10th floor, which is actually the 5th floor (but was described by the FAO as the 4th floor). As you can imagine, we were very confused when we first moved in =P
Some of the student dorms by our apartments that overlook the stadium:
I'm told a few boys' dorms are up here...
This semester, I am teaching Pronunciation and Reading & Writing to about 100 freshmen students. All of my classes are on the fourth and fifth floors in Building 2:
Just behind our building, we are reminded of the pastoral beauty of the CQUPT mountain-top campus:
Tents were set up around campus during freshmen orientation. At a solid 5'6", I've never been so close to bonking my head on a tent than here on this campus =P
Just outside the main gate is a street market where we can get fresh produce, meats, and most knick-knacks. During this time around 6:30am, vendors just start to set up for the day.
All CQUPT teachers and staff live on campus, which gives the university a warm community feel. Grandparents stroll with their grandkids in the afternoon, and in the morning and at dusk, groups of grannies gather for some organized exercise routines outside the main gate:
When I stand on a silent rooftop and survey the landscape available to my human eyes, I wonder what small glimpse of His Glory my Creator has allowed me to partake. My, how we are blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment