I heard tales of CQUPT's infamous Sports Day held every Spring: how teachers--especially foreign teachers--were encouraged to participate in events such as tug-of-war or teacher relay races; how it's the biggest school event of the year; and how the roar of the crowd echoes through campus from morning to evening (which I naively didn't realize at the time would be a problem...).
Building off the momentum of the Beijing Games combined with commemorating our University's 60th anniversary this year, CQUPT's version of Sports Day afforded every spectacle to make it a world-class event: picnic events like tug-of-war were scrapped for standard Olympic-type field events; each college packed and decorated their sections of the stadium; and the fanfare opening ceremony was reminiscent of China's October 3rd anniversary celebration parade.
For the only time in the school year, spectators filled the stadium seats:
The number "60" was displayed at all turns:
A platform similar to the Tian-an-men view of the Beijing parade was created for the University President and other higher-ups:
Students worked day and night (literally) for a whole week to practice and prepare for the 15-minute opening ceremony program:
(A quick note about where the foreign teachers' apartments are located...and let me assure you that the stadium sound system works just fine =P):
I believe these chops and kicks were to the tune of Bon Jovi's "It's My Life":
Can you guess? High School Musical, my friends. I don't know why they went with those midriff-bearing tops, though (and it was in the 50s that day, too)!
The band did a great job--glad to see them on the field!
As soon as the opening ceremony ended, the hurdles were set up on the track and the games began!
In what looks like the Yao Ming Fan Club section at a Rockets game, students learned how to cheer and be a good fan:
Most colleges opted for the recyclable noisemaker alternative: empty water bottles filled with green beans!
My college--the International College--is the smallest at our University, but we held our own when it came to rooting for our college and athletes!
Every college also has its own set of cheerleaders:
Our students could sign up for a number of volunteer positions, one being the person who notifies us when an event with a competitor from our college is coming up:
Another position being the person who waves our college's giant flag =P
And of course, students can volunteer to compete in any number of athletic events. Here's our adorable women's 400M relay team (and yes, they ran in the pictured attire; hey--we are a college of English majors, OK? =P)
Though a required event for all freshmen students, CQUPT Sports Day was a fun time of camaraderie, school pride, and canceled classes :) And as with any spectacle, you can always spot something that just doesn't seem to belong. I'll close this year's entry on CQUPT Sports Day with a curious game of "I spy"!
I spy...
Tigger?? I should've gotten him to take a jumping picture with me! =P
earphones (hey, maybe these kids are listening to a book on tape...):
Tigger (or more accurately, the guy inside Tigger) getting harassed by his buddies:
Olympic rings:
a bicyclist on the field?? I'm sure he had a legitimate reason for being there:
a spy! :) "We want to see if we know anybody on the other side!"
Looking forward to Sports Day 2011!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment