Thursday, April 15, 2010

A hallmark of CQUPT

Ask me when the best time is to visit me in Chongqing and I will tell you mid- to late-March: that's when the cherry blossoms bloom! And ask anyone in Chongqing, and he will tell you that the best place to see cherry blossoms is on the campus of CQUPT:

You'd never know it until Spring hits — then pink, white, and green blossoms sweep across every acre of our school's campus; every walkway, garden, and street suddenly comes alive in Springtime, and even the most mundane of staircases become part of a work of art.


Japanese cherry blossom trees create a canopy over the pathways of the oldest parts of our campus, dating back to the 1950s. (That's the University's President taking a stroll; I wasn't being a paparazzo—he just happened to come along as I was setting up my camera :D)

In the residential areas of campus, the cherry blossom trees weave their beauty into the context of everyday life.


Everyone loves taking pictures with the cherry blossoms!


Truly, CQUPT put intentional effort into its landscaping. I don't remember what was there before, but the landscaping below was created just four months ago:

Since I've been here, it seems that every week plants and trees are dug up/put in. Yes, there are streets where entire rows of trees have been uprooted and replaced, or uprooted, pruned, then replaced.

I thought IVs were only for people, but apparently there are special kinds for trees, too.

It looks odd, but it seems to work!

Teachers who have worked at other Chinese universities all say that CQUPT has the best landscaping. And during Springtime, our campus is the only place in Chongqing where you can enjoy the incredible beauty of cherry blossoms for free.

I don't know about you, but I can't think of a better background for a Springtime jumping picture :)

2 comments:

  1. beautiful! i absolutely love cherry blossoms. i wish there were more of them in new england (although there are quite a few of them in my neighborhood). i bet they can't compare to the real deal, blooming over there in asia though. i'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!! How beautiful! I'm so glad you get to walk through such beauty everyday! And yes, jumping pictures are a must! Excellent work, G. :)

    ReplyDelete