It's no secret that I love fruit. I can list off my top five favorite fruits before I can list off any other favorites, so I thought a post about how I'm faring with fruit in Chongqing would be most appropriate.
A happy welcome to Chongqing when I first arrived in the Summer is peach season. Rows of fruit vendors selling crates of juicy white peaches was absolute bliss. A white peach a day provided a cool respite to the humid CQ heat.
It took moving to China for me to discover dragon fruit (火龍果), or pitaya. It's beyond me that anything that looks like a pink fireball could taste so good on the inside.
Imagine the best part of a kiwi minus sour acidity, and add ease in enjoyment--the meat scoops right off the edges of the soft shell.
Dragon fruit is all over Chongqing and Southeast Asia. I hear it's also really healthful--something about antioxidants and lowering cholesterol. A dragon fruit a day keeps the heart healthy?
Mangoes outside of Texas just seem small.
For the love of mango, I will happily slice, dice, and gnaw on even the thinnest seed to get every last bit of golden sweetness into my mouth. Of course I would also gladly welcome the equally satisfying and less hassling form of the mango: the mango smoothie.
I must have had a gazillion mango smoothies while in SEA.
How else can I eat mangoes?
Mango curry chicken with rice:
Mango fruit bars:
Mango season absolutely rocks. Unfortunately, a mango a day makes my face break out.
I wonder which fruits next season will bring...or perhaps we are making our way back to peaches!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
dragon fruit looks so pretty and delicious!
ReplyDelete